The Priory of Mount St. Michael was created by the Autonomous Grand Priory of the United States of America. We are a modern Christian Order of Knighthood dedicated to::
- Seeking God in our lives and promoting love and respect for our community.
- Increasing understanding between religions, helping pilgrims visit holy places, and maintaining a Christian presence in the Holy Land.
- Supporting the poor, sick, and unjustly accused; standing against oppression, and protecting freedom of speech.
- Encouraging the noble ideas of Chivalry; maintaining the monuments, archives, and history of the Knights Templar.
Saint Michael the Archangel isn't a saint, but rather he is an angel, and the leader of all angels and of the army of God. This is what the title "Archangel" means, that he is above all the others in rank.
St. Michael has four main responsibilities or offices, as we know from scripture and Christian tradition.
- The first is to combat Satan.
- The second is to escort the faithful to heaven at their hour of death.
- The third is to be a champion of all Christians, and the Church itself.
- And the fourth is to call men from life on Earth to their heavenly judgment.
Saint Michael is one of only three angels to be venerated (the other two are Gabriel and Raphael). He was thought to have appeared during a plague in Rome, gathering the souls of those who had died. This may the origin of the spiritual song "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" and may be the reason he is the patron saint of death or of those in danger of dying.
He is also known as a warrior saint, who protected soldiers and provided victory over the forces of evil. He was often invoked by military leaders as a sign of having God on their side.
The Priory ofMount St. Michael has adopted the words “God Willing” as our motto in Latin (Dieu Le Veut) upon our coat of arms to honor the Saint whose name we bear.”